Sunday, September 1, 2013

Wuthering Heights, Awesome Cover Art, And Other Fun Stuff...

Hey Everyone,
It's been an eternity since I posted, so I decided to write a post concerning my favorite thing ever: Books.  It all starts with a story...

So a few weeks ago, my mom and sister went to get their hair done.  I hate hair salons with a burning passion, and so to avoid hearing me complain about the smell, and waiting around with nothing to do, my mom decided to drop me off at a library.  I ran in as soon as I could, and made a beeline for the teen section--not because I like modern teen books mind you, but this library is really cool.  This library has a whole section within the teen section (it's kind of like inception, but with book sections, not dreams) that's entirely devoted to classics.

Why didn't I just go to the normal classics section you might ask? Well, for one thing, it would mean running up a really large flight of stairs (another thing I really am not a fan of, which is really sad because both of my classrooms this year force me to descend or ascend two flights of stairs, which is a bummer) and for another thing, this Classic Section within the Teen section has really great editions of books.  Like, these are really cool.  They all have really really great cover art, and have really really great fonts.  Am I the only one who thinks that there is some kind of conspiracy going on?  Because really now, almost every classic book that is published today is printed in microscopic print, it's almost as if the publisher doesn't want you to read it.  My theory is that modern authors want you to be forced to read their books in order to preserve your vision. Anyway, I picked up a copy of Wuthering Heights that I REALLY REALLY liked.  It had a really great watercolor painting of Heathcliff and Cathy on the cover, done entirely in shades of blue, I mean, this book was really really pretty.

So, after about two hours of reading, I get this text from my mom: "Go check out, we're almost done."  So I go get in line to get my library card (since I didn't actually have a card for this library).  There were like a billion people in front of me, so it took awhile to get up to the front.
Front Desk Lady: Yes, would you like to check this out.

Me: Yes Yes Yes Yes YESSSSSSS!!!!

Front Desk Lady: OK then, well do you have a library card with us?

Me: ...

Front Desk Lady: Well, you're going to need a parent or guardian here to get a library card.

Me: I have my college ID, could you make an exception just this once? PWEASE!!!

Front Desk Lady: You're going to need a parent or guardian here to get a library card.

So to make a long story short, I had to put the book back, since my mom was already texting me to hurry up, which sucked because as I said before, this was an AWESOME edition.  So later that night, I get home and decided to try and buy this book.  I was thinking that this was going to take like five, ten minutes tops.  Boy was I wrong!  Did you know there are like 500 paperback editions ALONE of Wuthering Heights?  So, two hours later, I finally found the edition.  I was so proud of myself!  The best thing was, on Amazon, it was about $8.00 so I was actually able to afford it!

Here's a picture of the book, and a link to the Amazon listing :)

Isn't it PURDY???????


....and the Amazon listing (so that you don't have to sacrifice 2 hours of your life trying to find this thing) http://www.amazon.com/Wuthering-Heights-Classic-Lines-Bronte/dp/1402787367/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378071251&sr=1-1&keywords=Wuthering+Heights+Classic+Lines

and while I was looking on Amazon, I realized that there are like Five more of these books done in this style (Sara Singh is the illustrator, she is pretty talented!)

Emma: http://www.amazon.com/Emma-Classic-Lines-Jane-Austen/dp/1454901330/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378072671&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=EmmaClassic+Lines

Jane Eyre: http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Classic-Lines-Charlotte-Bronte/dp/140278533X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378072697&sr=1-1&keywords=Jane+Eyre+Classic+Lines

Sense and Sensibility: http://www.amazon.com/Sense-Sensibility-Classic-Lines-Austen/dp/1402785313/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378072734&sr=1-1&keywords=Sense+and+Sensibility+Splinter

Great Expectations: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Expectations-Classic-Charles-Dickens/dp/1454901357/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378072759&sr=1-1&keywords=Great+Expectations+Splinter

Pride and Prejudice: http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Classic-Lines-Austen/dp/1402785305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378072782&sr=1-1&keywords=Pride+and+Prejudice+Splinter

These are part of Splinter's Classic Lines series.  Dear Publisher:  Make more of these, because I will buy them from you. I really really will.  Maybe some George Eliot, or Agatha Christie, or more Jane Austen, or Emily Dickenson's poetry, or Wilkie Collins!!  Please Please Please Please!!!!!!!!!

And by the way, Wuthering Heights is a totally amazing book.  If you haven't read it already, you really should.  It's the best.  I mean it.  Go buy a copy.  Go read it, now!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment